Thursday, April 11, 2013

Composition of the Book of Mormon: a Metaphor for balance

A brief explanation about the Book of Mormon

The small and large plates of Nephi were spiritual and historical accounts of the Nephites respectively. But the prophets and historians had a hard time keeping the two accounts separate. "From the time of Mosiah, however, the large plates also included items of major spiritual importance." 

Similarly, teaching our kids boils down to the practical and spiritual. More often than not, the two blend together. I want to teach my kids to work hard, that has broad application in both areas. I want to teach my kids the power of prayer, that also can permeate every aspect of their lives. Still I think sometimes it is good to break down what you are teaching your child into both practical and spiritual aspects. I could be great at teaching my kid how to do well in school and take responsibility for their actions and still not be teaching them how to feel the spirit or share their testimony. However we break it down life skills are spiritual skills as Alma said 

"being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive." - Alma 7:23-

No comments:

Post a Comment