Thursday, July 4, 2019

Support comes with Effort 1 NE 17

Nephi was asked to do a lot of hard things. He left his home and possessions, wandered through the wilderness, built a boat, and sailed across the sea. He had plenty of challenges along the way, but he was always met with inspiration and ability to “accomplish the thing which he has commended them”. His perspective is portrayed as positive and faithful in all these difficulties. I would never look as eating raw meat as a blessing, but he did. I have always been struck with his response to the commandment to “construct a ship, after the manner which I shall show thee”. Immediately after this instruction Nephi’s response was “Lord, whiter shall I go that I may find ore to molten, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which thou hast shown unto me?” I would like to relate an experience that I am currently having that I think fits this same pattern.

I have a teenager who can often be difficult. He is a great kid, who wants to make good choices, but his lack of maturity often leads to conflict in our family. My wife and I have sometimes been at our wits end when trying to deal with it. After a fairly troubling episode, we both felt a little helpless in our efforts to help him. But for some reason I too followed the examples of Laman and Lemuel in my response. I felt like it would all work itself out somehow, and that I wouldn’t have to devote specific effort towards the problem.. I would complain about the situation, and I did not put in a significant effort to find real solutions. In this Information Age, I do not think that answers, help, or information is very far away if we look for it. It finally dawned on me, that I need to do some research and WORK and find the tools, just like Nephi did. So I asked friends of mine that are therapists and deal with this type of problems with others, they recommended some books that I started reading, and the “construction of our ship” has begun. We are far from reaching the end of this trial, but I know that the Lord expects me to put in a more consistent effort and equip myself with the tools necessary to build a stronger family.

No comments:

Post a Comment