Monday, May 26, 2014

The love of God and the love of the World 1 Nephi 11:22-35

After Nephi saw the birth of Christ he was asked what the meaning of the tree in his Father's vision represented. Nephi responded "...it is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all other things." 1 Ne 11:22.

I have felt the love of God in abundance lately being separated from my family. I have realized that I love them so much, and they give me so much purpose and joy in this life. Without them, I still have things to do, friends, and many people that love me, but with them I have the love of God, a fulfilling and complete joy. I feel the same way when I am with my mother, father, brothers, sisters, nieces, and nephews. I realize some people don't have a loving family, but I know they can still have joy. We all have a Father in Heaven, who is there to comfort, love, guide, and lead us to joy and happiness. 

Nephi also saw a contrast to the joy found of partaking of the fruit of live in the great and spacious building (representing the secular world). The worldly would make fun of our families and demean their value. "Success" to the worldly requires status, money, education, and having more than others. It values separation, pride, and a demeaning attitude. The "great and spacious building was the pride of the world; and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great." When someone passes away, what is said of how they lived their life? How much money they had? How "successful" they were? Or what kind of father/mother/brother/sister/friend... they were. Did they value familiy and relationships or money and pride?


No comments:

Post a Comment