Sunday, June 23, 2019

1 Nephi 15: Finding answers

At a certain point, after you have learned how to learn, if you lack information on how to deal with a problem, it is your fault. This is especially pertinent as it applies to parenting. In 1 Nephi 15 we have 2 attitudes toward information that are telling towards the motivations of the people involved. After hearing Lehi’s dream and vision, Nephi went to the Lord and was shown a vision that confirmed what he learned and increased his understanding on the subject. Nephi lacked the resources that we have today at our disposal for information, yet, he still went to the most reliable source he had available (prayer). As Nephi returns to see what everyone else is up to he finds Laman and Lemuel “disputing one with another” because they did not ask the Lord and find information.

When we have problems as parents and spouses, what do we do? Do we sit around and argue with our uninformed opinions “disputing one with another”. I know I will often try and argue my point of view as if it has some authority, when in reality, I have no basis for knowing these things other than what I think. Wouldn’t it be much better if I had a bit of humility and tried to find the right questions first, and then sought out those answers using the best information available?

An obvious place to go for answers was also suggested by Nephi to his brothers. In verse 11 Nephi says “Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you”. Heavenly Father is willing to guide you towards answers but it takes effort to find those answers. Prayer, spiritual guidance, and effort will give us the best opportunity to find answers to our parental and spousal responsibilities.

Now fast forward to today. We have access to information from the ends of the earth in the palm of our hands. But still, I often think I know what is best without consulting Heavenly Father, and without diligently searching for the best answers based on other peoples experiences, scientific research, or professional guidance. Mostly when I take this erroneous approach is it is because I am lazy. I understand that it will take a significant part of my time to find and apply these answers, and what usually happens is the problem remains, and I remain in the dark as to what to do about it.

Bottom line is, don’t be lazy, find the answers, if that is what you want, or remain in lazy ignorance without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment