Sunday, September 15, 2019

2 Ne 9 - To be learned

When can knowledge lead to foolishness? When can knowledge lead to wisdom? Being in academia knowledge is a constant pursuit and I am surrounded by others who are also career learners. 2 Ne 9:28-29 specifically addresses the “foolishness of men”. Learning coupled with pride inflates egos and “profiteth them not”. “But to be learned is good if they hearten unto the counsels of God.”

I have a few things figured out when it comes to parenting. I would like to emphasize the word FEW. Those few things that I do understand and do well are also specific to me, my family, and the few children I have in the particular age in which they are developing with their specific personality, and my specific personality. There is a tendency for me to think, however, that sometimes I know how to parent better than others. That I have it all figured out. That my experience, learning, and knowledge make me better at this than other people and I look around with an eye of judgement and superiority at other fathers.

But then I go home and spend more than 10 minutes with my children and I make at least 10 mistakes, going against my own superior knowledge, as my children crack through my weaknesses and I fall apart. This leads to apologies and long talks and calm prayers, thoughts, and breaks till I accept my place as a “foolish” father. I don’t have it figured out, I need help, and I need to approach every attempt with such humility or I will be ineffective at any pursuit.

2 Nephi 9:30 talks about those who are “rich as to the things of the world”. Luckily I don’t really have to worry about that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment